Table of Contents
Liquid, or flowing, screed is still a relatively new flooring solution that innovates traditional dry screed. Despite this, it has taken the world of construction by storm and could be the perfect flooring solution for your next project.
In this post, we’ll tell you everything you need to know if you are considering Liquid Floor Screed in Northampton. We’ll cover what it is, how it archives excellent results, and what you should consider if you want to use Liquid screed for your flooring.
What is Liquid Screed? Liquid Screed vs Dry Screed
Traditional screed is a dry screed mixture that has been popular for over a century. It is made of sand, cement, and water and mixed manually. The screed is then applied to flooring and leveled as best as possible by contractors. If the mixture is too wet, it might never dry evenly. If it is too dry, it might crack in places.
Liquid screed is the more advanced solution to these problems and guarantees even results every time. Unlike traditional screeds, it uses a binding agent instead of cement. When the water is added, this causes a reaction that forms gypsum, which leads to a superior, more durable sub-floor.
Because of the liquid screed’s high flowability, it is self-leveling and will fill all cracks and crevices without any issue. The results are entirely even floors every time. You can use liquid floor screed in Northampton to level uneven flooring and ready your home for flooring projects to come. Liquid floor screed makes the perfect basis for even tiling, for example.
Why Should I Use Liquid Floor Screed in Northampton?
If you require even subflooring or want to get more out of your flooring, a Liquid floor screed could be the perfect solution. Here are some of the advantages that you could unlock.
- Get on top of any time-sensitive project. It doesn’t take long to pour liquid flooring, and the mixture sets within 24-48 hours. Usually, a day is enough to allow you to walk on it, which will enable you to get on with your refurbishment work.
- Liquid floor screed self-levels. This will provide you with a completely even subfloor every time and allow you to add finishes or tiling on top.
- Liquid floor screed optimally interacts with underfloor heating. Because the screed fills every gap around the piping, the heating is distributed evenly across the floor. Homeowners that want to install underfloor heating should consider liquid screed as the best solution for it.
- Installing a liquid screed is much less carbon dioxide intensive than a traditional screed and saves energy in the process. It can also be made from recycled materials for an eco-friendly flooring solution.
How to Prepare for Liquid Floor Screed?
If you decide Liquid floor screed is the best approach to your next flooring project, here are a few things you should do before you get started.
- Measure the space correctly. Measure the room where liquid screed will be poured to find out how many screeds you’ll require. Keep in mind critical features like door openings and different thickness levels on the floor. If your floor is uneven, this could give a false illusion about how much screen is required.
- Seal any shuttering across doorways or steps. You can do this using expanding foam or mastic to prevent leakage.
- Remove any debris from the subfloor. Create the perfect, consistent flooring with liquid screed by making sure nothing else will be included in the mixture. Give your floor a good clean before you start and remove all debris with the help of a cleaning service.
- Install Insulation. Especially if you want to install underfloor heating, you should place insulation in two layers on the sub-floor. Use dried sand to fill the voids around pipes and ensure the insulation is level and flat.
If you need to prepare your liquid screed flooring for tiling, we recommend carrying out floor sanding to ensure a completely level surface. Floor sanding should be carried out 5-7 days after the installation of the floor. Ensure the area is dry so that tile adhesive will adhere to the floor screed without issue.
Install Liquid Floor Screed in Northampton
Liquid screed is a great, modern flooring solution to meet your project needs. If you’re uncertain about preparing your subfloor and installing underfloor heating yourself, you may benefit from professional assistance.
UK Screeds has more than 15 years of experience and an outstanding track record with projects of any size. We cover,200 miles around Oxford and can assist you with the whole Liquid Floor Screed process in Northampton. Visit our website today to learn more about our services.